Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Made it to KY!

Day 1 and 2 are down! I successfully made it from DC to Seneca Rocks last night, arriving at about 7:30 pm, just in time for the sunset. I immediately went to the campground, where I set up my tent and started dinner. It had rained on the way out, so I was worried about showers while trying to set up, but I lucked out and had clear weather the rest of that night.

Dinner was a delish three bean chili. I thought I made a small amount, but it still wound up being enough for dinner and then today's lunch.

I woke up to the sun beating through my tent flap at 8:15. I had intended to go running in the morning, but since the tent was dry, I thought I'd just pack up and run in KY. After picking up a breakfast egg and biscuit sandwich at the gas station down the street from Seneca, I hit the road again.

Lunch was that leftover chili, yum! Which I then ate in the parking lot of a random 7 Eleven in WV. With Doritos. Cold.

Once into KY, Google took me through back roads with the best views ever. It was unbelievable! I stopped in the Red River Gorge national park (I think the Daniel Boone National Forest is its technical designation). Went trail running, passing the trail for Military Wall, and made my way up to some great overlooks on the Gray's Arch trail. On the way back, I came upon two hikers and scared them a bit as I raced up on them.

From there, it was to Miguel's! I arrived at 3:45 pm, after a total of 504 miles since leaving Olney. After setting up camp, you know what time it was: Pizza! Low and behold, the two hikers I scared happened to come in for dinner, so we joined tables and had a great time talking about local hikes and climbing and whatnot.

Plan for tomorrow is to wake up and go for another run, shower, and then on to Bloomington to meet Kathryn for lunch. From there, I'm off to St. Louis to spend the night and Friday with Alex and Tera.

No comments:

Post a Comment